Tis the season to be baking. With so many holiday parties and school events my oven seems to be on overload with all of my festive baking. I decided to use my new Philips Avance XL Airfryer to bake some holiday treats in addition to my oven (which now seems to working full-time).
Since this was my first time using the Airfryer to bake a dessert I was a bit skeptical if the “Rapid Air” technology would actually work. The last thing I wanted was to actual bake a cake for a party with the Airfryer and have it taste horrible! I decided to make a “tester” cake just to make sure everything came out ok – nothing fancy and no extra ingredients – but just enough to test out the Airfryer to see if it would work for my Red & Green Holiday Cake.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- White Frosting (Vanilla, butter cream or cream cheese
- Red & Green Wilton Icing Colors
- Set the Airfryer to 160 C and preheat for 3 minutes.
- Grease the bottom of two 8 inch round pans.
- Combine and sift the flour,baking powder and salt.
- Beat the sugar and butter together with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the sugar mixture and beat until fully mixed.
- Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk to the sugar mixture, beating well after each addition until fully mixed.
- Separate the cake batter into two equal portions.
- Add the Wilton coloring using a toothpick, red for one and green for the other.
- Bake the first cake in the Airfryer for 20-24 minutes, or until your toothpick comes out clean..
- Bake the second cake in the Airfryer for 20-24 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool on a wire cake rack.
- Use frosting and holiday sprinkles to decorate the cake.
SuperMommy’s Taste-Test Results: The “air-baked” cake tasted exactly the same in the Airfryer, as it would have if I baked it in my regular oven! My friends were actually quite impressed when I told them the cake was “air-baked”. The cake didn’t crumble and was still moist on the inside. One of the major benefits of baking in the Airfryer was that it saved me from using my oven – which means that I saved on monthly bills and didn’t overheat my kitchen with the extra heat from the oven. Also, I really like the fact that the Airfryer sits on my counter-top, this way when my little boys enter the kitchen I am not worried about them touching the oven (which gets really hot on the outside). Best of all baking in the Airfryer was pretty much effortless. I will definitely be using the Airfryer to make cakes in the future – I will keep you posted on any new recipes I test out.
Step 1: Make the cake batter according to the recipe instructions.
Step 2: Divide the cake batter into two large bowls.
Step 3: Use a toothpick to add the red and green Wilton icing colors to the bowls. Keep using a new toothpick to add more color until your desired shade of red and green is achieved. Note: In order to get more vivid colors use a pure “white” cake recipe.
Step 4: Add the colored cake batter separately into two 8 inch, greased & floured, round baking pans.
Step 5: Using the digital timer, set the Airfryer to 160 C. Bake each cake for approximately 22 minutes. Don’t forget to pre-heat the Airfryer for approximately 3 minutes before starting. Note: I looked up some cooking tips for the Airfryer online, which indicated I should bake cakes in the Airfryer at 160 C. If I was using my oven to bake this cake I would bake it at 175 C (350 F).
Step 6: Let the cakes cool. Then frost the cakes using your own homemade or store bought frosting. Note: My cakes came out with a dome shape, so in order to layer them I cut off the top of the cake so that it would layer easily.
Step 7: Decorate the cakes & enjoy! 🙂
Special AirFryer Promotion from Philips for Singapore SuperMommy Readers!!
Cook with Air today! Quote “SuperMommy” and buy Viva Digital Airfryer at $399 + $50 shopping voucher (Usual price: $459) and Avance XL Airfryer at $479 + $50 shopping voucher (Usual price: $539)
PHILIPS EXPERIENCE SHOWROOM
Address: 620A Lorong 1 Toa Payoh Building TP4 Level 1, Singapore 319762 – Telephone: 6882 5800 Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 9.00 am – 7.00 pm, Saturday: 9.00am – 1.00 pm. Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.
Note: This promotion is valid from 1st December 2013 till 31st January 2014. *Limited to 1 Airfryer per person (Singapore IC must be produced). The Viva Digital Airfryer and Avance XL Airfryer are also available at regular price in leading electronics stores, departmental stores and supermarkets island-wide.
This product was received at no charge to review. No compensation was paid for this post. All opinions and comments are 100% my own.