with a filling of savory custard with cheese, meat or vegetables.”
– Wikipedia –
A quiche is great for all occasions and all age groups. It can be used for breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea time & even as an appetizer. SuperMommy’s recipe is a lighter, healthier version than your normal quiche. Equally as yummy, but with less calories.
- 5 Large Eggs (or 3 large eggs and 4 egg whites)
- 1 – 1 ½ Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Spinach (chopped)
- 10 Big Mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 1 cup cheese (grated) (aged cheddar or parmesan)
- 1 ½ -2 Puff Pastry Sheets
- ¾ tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¾ tsp Pepper (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 box Bacon Bits or regular Bacon (for dietary reasons, this can either be omitted, or substituted with Turkey Bacon)
- 10 inch round dish (this will make a big family size or party size quiche)
Serving Size: Approximately 12 pieces. Suitable for a family of 4 or as a side dish at a party. You can also use a smaller round baking dish and adjust the recipe accordingly.
Preheat the oven to 375 F or 190 C
Butter/grease the bottom of the quiche dish
Form a pie type crust using the puff pastry on the quiche dish
Mix the eggs, salt, nutmeg and pepper
Add the milk to the egg mixture and stir.
Sprinkle some cheese on the puff pastry
Sprinkle 1/3 of the browned bacon
Sprinkle 1/3 of the spinach
Sprinkle 1/3 of the onions
For extra flavor, shake some pepper & nutmeg on the top.
Then repeat Steps 7-14 for the next layer. Keep layering until all of your ingredients are finished.
When you are finished with the layers, sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top (this will cause the top to have a nice brown finish) and sprinkle with some pieces of bacon, mushrooms & onions for color.
Place the quiche in the oven for approximately 45 minutes.
Test the quiche with a toothpick, it should come out clear
Extra “Super” Tip”: A quiche can be made days in advance and frozen. It tastes equally as good when it is reheated in the oven.